What is Parenting Coordination?
Parenting Coordination is a dispute resolution process focused on your children; it is a non-confidential child-focussed alternative dispute resolution process particularly suited to parents who have had difficulty resolving child-related disputes. It aims to help you as a parent, master the often difficult transition from intimate partners to co-parents.
Child-focused dispute resolution
A Parenting Coordinator provides a strong buffer for separating families and is a stabilising presence that can reduce child stress as well as improve the co-parenting relationship and can increase parental cooperation and respect.
Additionally, Parenting Coordination is a good alternative to the Family Court system and can reduce the possibility of future litigation.
What are the benefits of engaging a Parenting Coordinator?
One of the goals of parenting coordination is to assist both parents over time, to manage changes to decision-making responsibilities after orders have been made and to enhance communication between the separated parents to reduce the likelihood of your children being caught in conflict. Specifically, they may benefit you by helping to:
- Implement your parenting plan
- Resolve urgent child issues that arise out of an Order or Parenting Plan
- Reduce conflict
- Refocus parents on their children’s needs
- Improve your problem-solving skills as a co-parent
- Better communicate with your ex
- Avoid the legal system
- Fill in the “gaps” in your Parenting Plan or Consent Order
What do Parenting Coordinators help separated parents and their children with?
Often, it is the day-to-day that causes parents the most conflict after orders or parenting plans have been made. A parenting coordinator can help with:
- Organising “makeup” time and “swaps”
- Coordinating holidays and vaccinations with your ex
- Making travel and passport arrangements
- Reaching agreements about recreational and extracurricular activities, tutoring, vacation care and school choices
- Health management of children
- Successfully navigate religious observance and education with your ex
- Child-rearing issues e.g.: body piercing
- Handling reoccurring substance abuse e.g. testing
- Managing the roles of significant others e.g. stepparents and grandparents
- Day to day disagreements, including sharing of children’s items
Who are Parenting Coordinators?
A Parenting Coordinator is a qualified professional (either a lawyer or social scientist) who has undertaken specialist postgraduate training. It is important to choose a Parenting Coordinator who is properly qualified and complies with the guidelines for parenting coordination from the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts.
At Doolan Wagner Family Lawyers our Parenting Coordinators are qualified and fully trained Parenting Coordinators who have an array of post-graduate training and family law experience. Our team of Parenting Coordinators are available for parenting coordination in person, by telephone and zoom.
If you would like to find out more about how our Parental Coordinators could assist you and your children, contact us on (02) 9437 0010, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website.
Doolan Wagner Family Lawyers – Clarity, Control, Confidence
Your local family law specialists based in St Leonards, here to guide you through the complex emotional and financial challenges of separation and divorce.
About the Author:
Lisa Wagner is Managing Director and Principal of Doolan Wagner Family Lawyers. Lisa is an Accredited Family Law specialist, a Collaboratively trained Family Lawyer, Parenting Coordinator, and a nationally registered Family Dispute Resolution Practitioner. Lisa has close to 30 years of experience as a specialist family lawyer, experienced litigator and skilful negotiator in all family law matters.